Friday, November 16, 2007

45 Pounds of butter later...



Honestly, I was afraid it was going to be more than that, but even at 45 pounds, that's 180 sticks of butter - more than one stick per recipe! Here's a few more numbers to marvel at:
  • 210 eggs
  • 256 cups of flour (and that doesn't even include whole wheat, etc.)
  • 178 cups of sugar (including granulated, brown and powdered sugar)
  • over 24 pounds of nuts
  • almost a pint of vanilla extract
  • over a cup each of baking powder and baking soda
  • almost a cup of cinnamon
There were five of you who took a stab at guessing the totals for butter, eggs, flour and sugar. The way I calculated a score for each contender was to divide the difference between the guess and the actual number by the actual number and then sum those results for each of the four guesses. The lowest score wins. Here are the results:

Lisa guessed 37 lbs of butter, 150 eggs, 250 cups of flour, and 150 cups of sugar, giving her the best score of 0.644

Nupur guessed 35 lbs of butter, 150 eggs, 200 cups of flour, and 250 cups of sugar, giving her a score of 1.131

Claire guessed 75 lbs of butter, 200 eggs, 300 cups of flour, and 250 cups of sugar, giving her a score of 1.291

Mari guessed 20 lbs of butter, 130 eggs, 130 cups of flour, and 70 cups of sugar (what an optimist!), giving her a score of 2.035

Elijah guessed 50 lbs of butter, 120 eggs, 500 cups of flour, and 400 cups of sugar, giving him a score of 2.740

So Lisa wins it! Congratulations! Nupur and Clare are the runners up. Clare is the only one of the three that wanted a copy of the book, so she wins the copy of Maida Heatter's Book of Great Cookies. Since Lisa is had the best score, she can choose which of the other two prizes (the small appetizer tray or the pewter pushpins) she'd like and then the other prize goes to Nupur. Thanks to all the guessers! Winners - send me an email with your address and I'll send your prize on it's way!

15 comments:

Nupur said...

Yay! :D Oh boy, my numbers were way off! Imagine if you had to buy all that stuff at once :)

Cathy said...

Congratulations Nupur!! I know - I was trying to imagine how many grocery carts... :)

Unknown said...

Wow...I was SO off on the butter! I guess I was giving 2 sticks per recipe. So excited about the book. Thanks! What a tast you pulled of!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, you made it all the way through Maida! Congratulations!

(I am trying very hard not to think about all that butter. How scary!!)

Cathy said...

Hi Claire - congratulations! There were definitely quite a few recipes with two sticks of butter, but thankfully they weren't the norm! Got your email - the book should be on its way tomorrow!

Hi Angela - thanks! I guess spaced over 3 years and shared with a bunch of other people lessens the horror of it :) It'll be nice to get away from that weekly regimen for at least a little while - at least until Christmas anyway :)

Anonymous said...

How exciting! What cute prizes! I choose the appetizer tray. Every time I use it, I'll remember Monday's with Maida, and how I anticipated each new post. I'll send my address in email.

Cathy said...

Hi Lisa - congratulations! I got your email and your prize should be on it's way to you tomorrow. I hope you enjoy the tray and thanks so much for all your kind words!

Heleen said...

I have to say my guess would have been a lot more than 45 pounds of butter :o). I bet it would be some sight to see all those ingredients crammed into your kitchen at once! I am still in awe over your accomplishment. What a fantastic project!

Cathy said...

Hi Heleen! Oh my gosh, I can't even imagine having all that in my kitchen at once. There's already very little counter space... I think everything would have to be stacked on the floor! Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Cathy -- I have really, really enjoyed your Maida project and I'm a little sad to see it end, 45 pounds of butter later! This whole archive will definitely be an invaluable cookie-making reference for me. Oh, and Cathy? What's the next fabulous project you have in mind?

Cathy said...

Hi Julie! Thanks so much - I'm a little sad to see it end as well, but only a little :) If I can get my act together, I hope to post very soon about what's next.

Madam Chow said...

Congratulations on quite an impressive accomplishment! I've loved tuning in and reading about your taste tests. What's next?

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy,

When I arrived home after a Thanksgiving visit with my family, the appetizer tray you mailed was waiting for me. I am anticpating filling it with spiced nuts for the holidays! Ymumm.
-Lisa

Cathy said...

Hi Madame Chow - thanks so much! Hopefully, I'm finally going to get around to writing about that (what's next) in just a bit - stay tuned!

Hi Lisa! I'm glad it reached you safely - hope you enjoy it!

Opra said...

Mmm... It looks delicious. Thank you for your receipts. I will use them as soon as possible.