Monday, August 20, 2007

Mondays with Maida - Chocolate Meringue Ladyfingers

Fudge Délices
Page 244 in the old book / page 266 in the new book

These ladyfingers are simply chocolate meringues piped out with a plain round tip. Perhaps someone more skilled at piping could make them look beautiful, but in my case you couldn't help but compare the outcome to p__p. In fact, a lady at work got such a chuckle out of it that she brought one home for her seven year old nephew. Anyway, for a more presentable shape, I'd be tempted to try a star tube next time. You could still pipe them into three-inch sticks, or just make round blobs.

The taste was quite good - the chocolate flavor came through and they're very crunchy, sweet, and light as air. As you might expect with a meringue, they're hollow inside with a hint of chewiness in the middle.

To make them you make an italian meringue, stir in a mixture of cocoa and confectioner's sugar, pipe onto cookie sheets and then bake at a fairly low temperature. Couldn't be easier, and they're fat-free too!

Here's the panel...

Suzanne: "Ladyfingers are always very attractive cookies, but meringue cookies are not my favorite type of cookie. I feel like I’m eating pure sugar and I don’t care for the texture of the cookie. Rating - 2.0

Denny: "Unusual, but very good. liked the feel of this one, light and crunchy. Chocolaty too, but very crumbly. Minus one for crumbliness gives them a 4.0 in my eyes. Rating - 4.0"

Laura: "Yummy cookies! (But I wouldn't suggest making them as ladyfingers). Rating - 4.5"

Terri: "Wow - these are delicious. I really like the chewiness when you bite into this cookie. The meringue makes them very light and this would be a grat choice with some summer fruits. Rating - 4.0"

Overall rating by the panel - 3.6

Next week - Chocolate Tartlets

Nutrition Facts

7 comments:

Cerebrum said...

Hmm. I'm thinking tiramisu with these would be swoon-worthy - don't you?

Nupur said...

What...p**p?? People have some fertile imaginations, I must say! They look so delicate and pretty to me. Although I admit, meringues are a bit too sugary for my taste.

Rowena said...

Now Cathy, if you hadn't mentioned the p__p word I would have thought of anemic-looking eclair shells. I don't believe I've ever heard of chocolate meringue and they do sound like a great idea...maybe with some finely chopped almonds or hazelnuts in them too!

santos. said...

i want to make these! but i'm terrible with meringues. there's always some sort of weeping involved, whether it's the cookie or me :P

Cathy said...

Hi Zarah! You might have a bit of sugar overload, but I agree the the cool and creamy tiramisu would complement these nicely!

Hi Nupur! I'm afraid you didn't have to imagine much with these... I think they could be pretty with a little alteration in the shape though! They are definitely delicate, but yes - very sweet and sugary. Not my first choice in a cookie either :)

Hi Rowena - you're back! Oooh, adding nuts sounds good. That might counter all that sugariness just a bit.

Hi Santos! No weeping here - well, except for maybe when I saw how they looked :) Is weeping with meringue cookies a problem? These are so hard and dry I can't imagine they could shed a single tear!

Rosa said...

These look soooo good!!

Cathy said...

Hi Rosa! Thanks so much!