Monday, August 21, 2006

Mondays with Maida - Cardamom Cookies from Copenhagen


Page 151 in the old book / page 183 in the new book

These were good but on the plain side. I had considered cracking open some green cardamom pods so I could get some freshly ground cardamom - but I found the amount called for (1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cardamom) a little intimidating. I figured sorting out a sufficient quantity of seeds from the pods would take quite some time, so instead I used the ground cardamom I had on hand. Judging by the labeling, it's been around for a good long while. The familiar floral taste of cardamom was there... but just barely.

Here's the panel...

Suzanne: "Dull! No Pizzazz! After tasting the cookie, I actually I asked Cathy if the cookie was dietetic. There was very little taste to this cookie and if anything, it tasted like cement. Even the color was a very pale vanilla. I hate giving the cookies a bad rating since Cathy works so hard each week to try to please us. But… Rating: 1.0"

Herman: "These cookies are good and rich tasting … my rating is 3 out of 5 only because of taste preference. As usual … Great job!. Rating - 3.0"

Laura: "Delicate, delightfully light flavor. Very tasty. Rating - 4.0"

Terri: "Since I've never tasted the spice 'cardamom', I'm not sure what it tastes like! These were more of a pecan/butter cookie. Kind of a shortbread flavor... Very crunchy too. Rating - 3.0"

Overall rating by the panel - 2.8

Next week - Pinwheels

Nutrition Facts

6 comments:

Nic said...

I like the way they look and even if the flavor wasn't a "wow," they still sound like they would go well with a cup of tea on a cold winter day.

:: Pastry Girl :: said...

yea i agree with nic.

Wonder if u have tried cardamon tea which is an Indian tea.. yr cookies remind me of it.

Yr cookies always fascinate me!

Niki said...

Funny how three of them liked the flavour but the other said it didn't have any at all! V. interesting, the way different people's tastebuds and preferences work. Your cookie project is also a great study in anthropology!

Cathy said...

Hi Nic - thanks! They have kind of an interesting look from the slivered almonds - quite different from the sliced almonds a couple of weeks ago.

Hi Lavender - thank you! I've had chai, but not cardamom tea. I'll have to give it a try!

Hi Niki! I know I've been amused some weeks when one or two will say something is "too ____" and one of the others will say "not ____ enough" or vice versa. Are they eating the same cookies? But I guess it just goes to show that everyone has his or her own idea of the perfect cookie.

Anonymous said...

Those cookies look very d e l i c i o u s! I can't wait to get some of those inside my mouth! They are so mouth watering. It would be even better to tie it up with a cup of cofee. Yummy!

Cathy said...

Thanks so much tin367!