Tuesday, June 21, 2005

New Customer Relations Gimmick at Whole Foods?

Maybe it's just the store where I shop. Maybe it's just two women at the prepared foods counter having a little fun. Maybe it's just me.

Yesterday evening I stopped in Whole Foods to get a couple of things and decided to pick up a sandwich for dinner. While I was trying to decide which one to get, I heard someone behind the counter say, "Hi, how have you been?" I almost didn't look up, because, well... she couldn't possibly be speaking to me - I don't know anyone who works at Whole Foods. But I did look up and she had a big smile on her face and was looking at me. I think I got out a weak little "fine". Anyway, I told her I hadn't decided yet and kept looking. Then it happened again. Not "Hi, how are you?"... but "Hi, how have you been?"

Very disconcerting.

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

That's very creepy! Let's just hope it was a couple of bored clerks having a bit of fun.

Reid said...

Hi Cathy,

How strange of them to do that. I would be concerned too.

Chocopie said...

Hi, cathy,
You know that there are all sorts of people in the world. I fully understood your perplexity,

Justin said...

Reminds me of when the liquor store began referring to my purchase as "the usual."

Cathy said...

Hi Jennifer, Reid & Chocopie - the first time I was puzzled and thought it was odd; the second time I was near certain it was some misguided attempt by management to make customers feel at home. The question is, is it one department, one store, or (I can't imagine this is the case) corporate-wide?

Justin - oh dear, that would be worrisome! Funny, though!

santos. said...

they should be worried that one day someone will actually tell them how they are and get into their whole bloddy day. you should just really get into an insane monologue starting from getting up, to alphabetizing your cd collection, to all the interesting stuff you've found in the lint trap...they may think you're a little crazy, but they might leave you alone.

Anonymous said...

Cathy et al...

Get a life! Never had someone intentionally try to be pleasant to you? It was your 15 seconds of fame. All of you still up post-midnight need to get a life, close your eyes, and visualize the other side of life...people can be pleasant in ways that others of us appreciate. Oh, and Santos, use your spell-check...you have a bloddy problem. Keep up the good work, Whole Foods! You DO make some folks whole.

Have a good day, however it's been.

Don

santos. said...

that wasn't a spell check problem. have a nice day yourself.

Anthony said...

I think it's really quite sad that Don's idea of fame is a clerk greeting him in a store. Come here and give us a hug, big guy. There that's better.

Justin said...

Why didn't you just ask them what was up?

Cathy said...

Hi Santos - yes, I have a feeling they don't really want the long version!

Come on Don, play nice. I love Whole Foods and have no problem with anyone asking me "how are you?" or "how you doing?" or even "how have you been?". It just struck me as a funny and odd question to ask of someone you don't know, particularly if they were coached by management to ask it. To me, the question implies that you have a history with the person you are asking it of.

Hi Anthony - Thanks for lightening things up a bit!

Hi Justin - I wish I had!!!