Friday, August 06, 2004

My Little Garden



Actually, until a couple of hours ago it was my little weed patch. In years past I have had a vegetable garden, but I have given up feeding the deer. I now grow just herbs (which for some reason they’re not interested in). I haven’t kept up with the weeds, because I can’t bear being out in the sticky hot weather getting eaten by bugs. But today is different.

Normally the weather in August is hot and humid, but today is almost fall-like. There is a wonderful breeze; the sky is blue with puffy white clouds; and the air is cool and dry. It’s the kind of day that when you go outside for lunch, you wish you didn’t have to go back to the office. Lucky me, I’m not at the office!



So I spent an hour or two pulling up weeds, mowing the lawn, and reveling in the gorgeous weather. As I was pulling weeds, I noticed I have quite a menagerie out there. I saw a big old slug, a fuzzy white caterpillar, ants, stink bugs, Japanese beetles, crickets, and various other non-descript beetles, bugs and flying things. They left me alone, so I left them alone (well, except for that slug which I relocated with little regard for his comfort or safety).



Now I can see the herbs again. The basil, sage, and rosemary seem to have come through the ordeal unscathed. The thyme, chives, and especially the tarragon were overshadowed by the weeds and haven’t grown much. Hopefully, with a little sun and belated TLC they will be thriving soon.

What a day!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really beautiful pictures! It really gives me an idea of your environment/atmosphere. It sounds like you are enjoying your time away from work and it's nice to hear about your relaxed days. Enjoy it while it lasts, and thanks for giving us all a glimpse.

Alice

Cathy said...

Thanks Alice! It has been a wonderful few days. Today (Saturday) it looks like we're in for another beautiful day weather-wise.